Home Cinema Choice gives 5 out of 5
Review: Powerline comes of age
"AV networking has never been easier" says Steve May
AV enthusiasts have long argued the merits of Interconnects, debating the pros and cons of construction and the relative benefits different cables bring to sound and vision. But when streaming from networked devices and across the 'net itself, the very nature of what constitutes AV cabling is thrown into the air. When Wi-Fi and Ethernet are the required delivery systems, black art babbling gives way to more practical concerns.
For many, the convenience of Wi-Fi makes it a preferred option; but Wi-Fi is generally inadequate for HD video. Using Powerline adaptors to create a network using your ring mains is a great solution. And the PE socket reviewed here is the most sophisticated example we've yet seen of the technology.
- Normal Powerline adaptors plug into a vacant wall socket in the room you want to network. The PE socket is a replacement for the socket itself, fitting into a standard UK 35mm double-gang metal back box.
- Each socket offers not one 10/100 Ethernet port but four, plus a fully-managed network switch and filtered power point.
- The unit is based on the HomePlug AV standard, and as such is backwards- compatible with existing HomePlug adaptors.
- With transfer rates up to 200Mbps, It's an ideal way to network connected TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top boxes. The system can be expanded to 64 sockets (!) and can run up to 300m.
- Costlier than buying standalone Powerline HomePlug adaptors.
- Installing a PE socket isn't a DIY Job - unless you're an electrician.
- Housing Specification Article: Homebuyers base decision on high speed internet connectivity
- Professional Electrician and Installer: Hassle free data installations
- Ethernet sockets ease set-up of Internet-ready offices
- Power Ethernet closes digital divide for GHA tenants
- Power Ethernet appoints Stuart Darling to head up its finance team
- Schneider Electric puts Power Ethernet technology Inside New Range of Integrated Sockets
- Power Ethernet Strikes Major Partnership with Mainline Power
- Professional Electrician and Installer: New Business Ideas
- CEDIA reveals UK Residential CI Industry set to top £1 billion
- Review: Girls n Gadgets
- InsideCI: Power Ethernet training
- CEDIA Launches First Powerline Networking Training
- Financial Times How to Spend it on Powerline sockets
- YouView present UK contractors with a huge opportunity
- PC PRO found the PE Sockets to be rock-solid
- PC Advisor Review
- Pocket-lint Review the PE Sockets
- Evaluation Pack gives AV Installers a route to YouView
- Recombu put Power Ethernet Sockets on test
- Trusted Reviews gives PE Sockets 8 out of 10
- Hexus rated the PE Socket 3.5 out of 5
- AV Forums Review
- PC PRO rated PE Sockets 4 out of 6
- Home Cinema Choice gives the PE Socket 5 out of 5
- Sunday Times Review: Banish the wi-fi woes with a mains wizard
- The Telegraph: Power Ethernet Sockets review
- Grand Designs: Log on from your log cabin
- Review: ITProPortal gives the PE Socket a 9 out of 10
- ONELAN digital signage certifies Power Ethernet Sockets
- Article: Hiddenwires' Product of the Month
- Article: Networking within a heritage or listed building
- Power Ethernet powers up Powerline Networking for Home AV and Digital Signage Installations
- New All-in-one Power Ethernet Socket Solves Classroom Connectivity Challenges
- Power Ethernet Powers Up Powerline Technology
- Power Ethernet demonstrates PE Socket to TV and Broadband installers
- Power Ethernet exhibits at CEDIA Technology Showcase
- Power Ethernet exhibits at OneLAN
- Power Ethernet appoints Design Works to bring prototypes to life
330 High Holborn
PR Hotline: 020 7861 2874