New All-in-one Power Ethernet Socket Solves Classroom Connectivity Challenges
BETT,11 January 2012 - British technology startup, Power Ethernet, has launched a new solution to the challenge of providing network connectivity throughout classrooms for pupils laptops, interactive whiteboards and other connected devices. The PE Socket offers schools a means of cost-effectively and simply extending existing networks to support the increased use of interactive whiteboards and laptops.
As the use of Virtual Learning Environments increases in the UK, pupils and staff need to be able to access online curriculum content and the internet wherever required. The ‘PE Socket’ is the first product to integrate Powerline networking technology directly into an electrical socket. It enables schools to use a buildings’ existing electrical wiring to create a secure, high-speed network for Internet access and content sharing between devices, without the cost and disruption of installing additional data cabling. The PE Sockets will be available for purchase at BETT 2012.
Based on the HomePlug AV standard for Powerline networking, Power Ethernet’s all-in-one PE socket combines four Ethernet network ports, a fully-managed network switch and filtered power socket into a single socket. It fits a UK Standard 35mm double gang metal back box and uses a buildings existing electrical wiring to create a high-speed and secure data network.
Installing a Power Ethernet network is as simple as replacing existing power sockets in a classroom and it can be installed by anyone with the relevant electrical installation certification. Connecting any one PE Socket to the schools existing network extends its reach to all PE sockets in the building. By removing the need to install additional data cabling in classrooms, the Power Ethernet solution not only reduces the costs of extending a network to support more devices but also minimises the disruption caused by installation so that teaching time isn’t compromised.
Power Ethernet Managing Director, Daniel Rogoff: “The Power Ethernet socket offers such a simple and cost-effective solution to the challenge of connecting the growing number of Internet-enabled devices in the classroom to support virtual learning environments. By integrating Powerline technology directly into a standard electrical socket and using the existing electrical wiring in classrooms, a Power Ethernet installation offers a simple, non-disruptive and cost-effective alternative to installing additional data cabling or relying on patchy Wi-Fi coverage.”
The Power Ethernet socket is unique in integrating Powerline into the electrical fabric of a building and its sockets. It’s a professional and aesthetic approach to installing Powerline that provides a far more reliable and robust solution than plug-in Powerline adaptors, which are easily knocked out and damaged, unplugged by users and liable to loss. Its design also incorporates almost 100 additional electronic components in order to improve both the network quality and also the durability of the unit.
A Power Ethernet network includes the advanced networking features needed for deployments in education, such as support for voice and video over IP, security (128 bit AES), device prioritisation (quality of service) and network segmentation (virtual LANs). It supports speeds of up to 200Mbps across mains cabling and distances of up to 300 metres between sockets. The filtered power socket is designed to reduce the effect of electrically noisy devices that may be plugged into it in order to provide the highest network rates across the Powerline network.
Installing two or more PE Sockets instantly creates a high speed, secure Ethernet network running across the existing electrical mains cabling. Connecting any PE Socket to a broadband service enables the sharing of Internet connectivity and digital content among all the devices plugged into them. More devices and additional rooms can be easily added to the network simply by installing additional PE Sockets so creating a truly flexible, affordable networking solution.
About Power Ethernet:
Founded in 2011, Power Ethernet is a UK technology start-up with an innovative, new approach to PowerLine-based networking for both home and commercial applications. Powerline is a proven, well-established and recognised standard that uses power cables to create an instant Ethernet network. Power Ethernet’s patent pending integration of Powerline networking technology into electrical sockets provides an effective solution for businesses and home users who seek a simple but elegant solution for creating a high-speed, highly reliable network.
- The WiFi Revolution at Hotels
- De Vere Hotels deployed Powerline Sockets in "Chambre Unique" rooms
- Power Ethernet is a finalist for “Best Training Initiative” at the CEDIA Awards 2013
- Housing Technology: Powerline internet trial for tenants at Glasgow Housing Association
- Housing Specification Article: Homebuyers base decision on high speed internet connectivity
- Professional Electrician and Installer: Hassle free data installations
- Ethernet sockets ease set-up of Internet-ready offices
- Power Ethernet closes digital divide for GHA tenants
- Power Ethernet appoints Stuart Darling to head up its finance team
- Schneider Electric puts Power Ethernet technology Inside New Range of Integrated Sockets
- Power Ethernet Strikes Major Partnership with Mainline Power
- Professional Electrician and Installer: New Business Ideas
- CEDIA reveals UK Residential CI Industry set to top £1 billion
- Review: Girls n Gadgets
- InsideCI: Power Ethernet training
- CEDIA Launches First Powerline Networking Training
- Financial Times How to Spend it on Powerline sockets
- YouView present UK contractors with a huge opportunity
- PC PRO found the PE Sockets to be rock-solid
- PC Advisor Review
- Pocket-lint Review the PE Sockets
- Evaluation Pack gives AV Installers a route to YouView
- Recombu put Power Ethernet Sockets on test
- Trusted Reviews gives PE Sockets 8 out of 10
- Hexus rated the PE Socket 3.5 out of 5
330 High Holborn
PR Hotline: 020 7861 2874