HomePlug in your power sockets
Posted on 20 Aug 2012 at 09:38
Paul Ockenden reveals what to look for when buying powerline networking equipment.
Power Ethernet piece extracted from the article
If you do want great looks, however, I’ve recently been testing adapters from a company called Power Ethernet (read our review at web ID: 374935), which fits HomePlug networking into the back of a normal double mains socket. This means that you lose one socket, but in return you get four Ethernet ports, which is highly convenient – and, better still, the devices look great. They wouldn’t look out of place in the most stylish apartment or hi-tech office: there’s something almost Apple-esque about the faceplate’s looks.
Most competent DIYers should be able to replace an existing two-gang socket with a Power Ethernet faceplate, and indeed the IEE Wiring Regulations do allow for a confident consumer to do this. For a new installation, however, or if you lack the confidence, you’ll need to consult a qualified electrician.
Note that this device needs 35mm clearance behind the faceplate, and although many houses and offices will have sockets installed on suitable boxes (especially older premises), if you’re in a newer building with 28mm boxes behind its sockets, you’ll need to buy a small spacer to distance the faceplate slightly from the wall. You’ll find 10mm two-gang spacers available from many online electrical retailers.
In use, I’ve found Power Ethernet devices to be rock-solid. With other brands of HomePlug device I’ve found myself having to reset them from time to time as they lock up, but I’ve had no such trouble with these devices. Incidentally, if you do need to reset them there’s a simple poke-hole on the front – obviously, it would be a bit inconvenient to have to disconnect the faceplates from the mains.
These are at the upper end of the powerline networking price range, at a little more than £100 each, and remember you’ll need two to set up a new network (although a single faceplate could be added to an existing HomePlug AV network). It isn’t unusual to pay handsomely for stylish kit, though, especially when it’s as well thought out and works as well as this does.
- Housing Specification Article: Homebuyers base decision on high speed internet connectivity
- Professional Electrician and Installer: Hassle free data installations
- Ethernet sockets ease set-up of Internet-ready offices
- Power Ethernet closes digital divide for GHA tenants
- Power Ethernet appoints Stuart Darling to head up its finance team
- Schneider Electric puts Power Ethernet technology Inside New Range of Integrated Sockets
- Power Ethernet Strikes Major Partnership with Mainline Power
- Professional Electrician and Installer: New Business Ideas
- CEDIA reveals UK Residential CI Industry set to top £1 billion
- Review: Girls n Gadgets
- InsideCI: Power Ethernet training
- CEDIA Launches First Powerline Networking Training
- Financial Times How to Spend it on Powerline sockets
- YouView present UK contractors with a huge opportunity
- PC PRO found the PE Sockets to be rock-solid
- PC Advisor Review
- Pocket-lint Review the PE Sockets
- Evaluation Pack gives AV Installers a route to YouView
- Recombu put Power Ethernet Sockets on test
- Trusted Reviews gives PE Sockets 8 out of 10
- Hexus rated the PE Socket 3.5 out of 5
- AV Forums Review
- PC PRO rated PE Sockets 4 out of 6
- Home Cinema Choice gives the PE Socket 5 out of 5
- Sunday Times Review: Banish the wi-fi woes with a mains wizard
- The Telegraph: Power Ethernet Sockets review
- Grand Designs: Log on from your log cabin
- Review: ITProPortal gives the PE Socket a 9 out of 10
- ONELAN digital signage certifies Power Ethernet Sockets
- Article: Hiddenwires' Product of the Month
- Article: Networking within a heritage or listed building
- Power Ethernet powers up Powerline Networking for Home AV and Digital Signage Installations
- New All-in-one Power Ethernet Socket Solves Classroom Connectivity Challenges
- Power Ethernet Powers Up Powerline Technology
- Power Ethernet demonstrates PE Socket to TV and Broadband installers
- Power Ethernet exhibits at CEDIA Technology Showcase
- Power Ethernet exhibits at OneLAN
- Power Ethernet appoints Design Works to bring prototypes to life
330 High Holborn
PR Hotline: 020 7861 2874