Case Study: APAC Sale
Case Study: APAC Sale
Flexible Offices, Power and Data Solutions on demand.
APAC Sale is fast growing international Internet Reseller that acts as an online clearance channel for brands and offers flash sales to their private membership database. APAC Sale has seen phenomenal growth in the Far-East and has recently expanded to set up operations in the UK and Europe. The business opened a new operational office in Fulham, in a 19th Century building across two floors that offered retailing, sales and admin functions.
Due to the office layout and the age of the building, Internet access was only available in limited areas, and distributed by two wireless access points which provided poor coverage. There was an increasing array of electrical power leads and data cabling encroaching on the available workspace. Additional staff were due to be relocated from another office which would bring the existing infrastructure under breaking point for the Internet Reseller, where reliable network access is key to their operations.
APAC Sale identified the need for a robust and reliable networking solution that gave them the flexibility to relocate staff and expand their business. The solution needed to be rapidly deployed, installed out of hours and on budget, so that the business would be fully operational the next day.
From a networking perspective there were a number of challenges:
- The layout and construction material of the building made installation of structured cabling expensive and highly disruptive
- The solution needed to give the business flexibility to move staff, desks and IT equipment around and to easily expand
- All the installation work needed to be done out of hours and with no down-time
- The management team wanted a solution that could be re-used in new offices should they ever need to relocate.
Dave Elmer from Spectrum Technical Solutions Ltd and Power Ethernet performed the initial site survey and came to the following conclusions:
- The nature of the thick walled building and the amount of physical data connections needed, ruled out the option of a single WiFi solution. The business also had a number of Ethernet only devices.
- Because of the layout of the old building, installation of structured cabling would take 3-4 days and would therefore be too disruptive and result in a high cost impact on the business operations.
- In order to position power and data points to cover all the possible office layouts would require the installation of numerous additional CAT 5 connection points which would push up the costs.
- The requirement for flexibility that would allow them to move staff around, re-purpose office space and be able to add additional network equipment meant that a flexible power and data solution would be the best option.
- The solution not only would allow the business to save costs now, but also eliminate the disruption of having to add additional power and data access points in the future – something that the business was keen to do.
The recommendation was to implement a flexible power and data solution where the customer could, without any downtime, reposition power and Ethernet points as required.
APAC Sale chose Power Ethernet and Mainline Power to provide an Integrated Power and Data Networking Solution throughout their offices. The complete solution was installed by Spectrum Technical Solutions Ltd in only one day outside of office hours.
By utilising the existing electrical cabling to transmit data, Spectrum Technical installed a mixture of Power Ethernet fixed Powerline Sockets and Mainline Power’s track and movable sockets. This integrated system allows for multiple power and data points to be located on a wall mounted track that is fitted on-site to suit the available space. This is combined with structured cable and WiFi where needed.
The result is a robust and far more flexible infrastructure for Internet delivery throughout the building. With the ability to increase the number of power and data connections as required. Internet access and power points can be positioned to suit user’s needs whilst removing legacy cabling. This means, reducing administrative overheads, as well as a health & safety hazards.
As per APAC Sale requirements, the power and data network installation was made on a Saturday when the offices were closed. The installation team from Spectrum Technical Solutions Ltd first removed and recycled 60m of cabling, surplus to requirement. They then installed six varying lengths of Mainline Power track on the walls throughout the offices. This provided APAC Sale with power and data access through their 20 moveable power and 22 moveable data points. In addition 19 integrated Powerline Sockets were installed into existing standard electrical housings.
A completely new flexible layout was enabled for the existing work stations. On the upper level and former retail area, data points and track were installed to create a future flexible workspace environment. In the Boardroom, the IPTV was easily connected to the Internet to enable the original objective of its fitting to a back wall.
The install was completed in a single day and once done, the Power Ethernet team helped to reinstall the hardware and test the new configuration to the customer’s requirements; enabling both local power along with Ethernet and WiFi access points throughout the office.
- The reduction in cabling and electrical accessories had an immediate dramatic impact to health and safety issues with cabling.
- Power and data access was created for future workspace.
- The possibilities for interactive media in the office were opened up, allowing multiple variations of the future office layout.
- Staff gained robust reliable Internet/communications access, as well as more access to multiple re-locatable power supply points.
- As an added bonus: aesthetically, the integrated system looked great.
Jason Grant, Head of ICT APAC Sale UK "The Power Ethernet and Mainline Power products provide us with a robust and flexible power and data solution that accommodate our needs perfectly, as we continue to grow;both within the current location and potentially on to other premises. There are no more health and safety issues with cabling, no mess or damage to the fabric of the building and the whole transformation was achieved in a single day. Everything was accomplished both on budget and on time allowing us to resume work on Monday with no interruption and provided us with huge cost savings. "
Dave Elmer MD of Spectrum Technical Solutions Ltd “APAC Sale needed a completely flexible solution for delivering power and data throughout their office that was easy to install and relocate. Cost effectiveness and minimal business disruption and down time was also a major concern. The mixture of Powerline Sockets and Mainline Power system allowed us to provide an impressive, integrated solution that was not only fully operational in a matter of hours, but also accommodated all the demands of the client."