Case Study: SES
Case Study: SES
Headquartered in York, Shepherd Engineering Services (SES) is an award winning provider of building services solutions for both the Infrastructure Services and Building Services sectors in the UK. SES works for both the public and private sectors in the design and installation of building services solutions, covering all aspects of M&E including Leisure, Energy, Transport, Education, Health, Retail, Commercial, Industrial and Waste.
SES are currently contracted to upgrade the existing Infrastructure Works at Twickenham Stadium in preparation for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
In order to undertake the work, an expanding modular site office was established by a leading modular site accommodation company for an expected total duration of 26 months; getting the site offices up and running with services was the priority.
In order to provide Internet access, firstly temporary 3G communications were installed, but later would migrate to a high speed ADSL line.
With the site expanding and more offices being continually added, providing a useable high speed data network throughout the changing nature of a growing community of site buildings was becoming indispensable, as site workers including many engineering and design specialists needed remote access to documents and collaboration systems located on corporate networks.
Traditional structured Ethernet data networking implied a potentially costly task.
Prior to delivery on site the cabin electrics were pre-installed along with 2 of Power Ethernet’s Powerline Sockets per cabin which fit seamlessly into standard electrical infrastructure. Once the cabins were on site and connected to the temporary power supply a high speed data network was immediately created running across the existing mains wiring with no need to install structured data cabling.
The 16 offices were provided with 128 switched Ethernet ports -- 8 ports per office -- as well as power outlets. This saved a large cost overhead as cabins were continually added to the growing site and the solution allowed for the data network to be expanded with ease. When the new cabins arrived on site, they were automatically connected to the network and the data access points were ready to be used as soon as the cabins were connected to the power supply.
Furthermore, the Power Ethernet network allowed SES to provide additional site services such as Access control, i.e Site Turnstile and Hand Scanner.
One of the challenges of a growing modular site is that the layout of the offices constantly changes as different site staff arrives for varying project elements and the cabins need to be reconfigured. To further remedy this problem SES installed a flexible power solution by Mainline Power - which used Power Ethernet’s technology - that enabled both power and data access to be relocated easily.
- Minimises the time required from office delivery to first use
- Removes the cost of sending an IT engineer out to data connect and cable the cabins
- Allows office layouts to be easily reconfigured with flexible power and data solutions
- Enables the cabins to be pre-installed with a data solution without requiring the cabins to be installed in a specific order, or orientation
- Removes the cost of CAT5/6 networking infrastructure (this is a saving per unit)
- Enables the electrician to switch on the cabin’s power and networking simultaneously
- Relocates and enables optimised local Wi-Fi to each area
- Creates a robust integrated data network that is resistant to theft and can be effectively managed
- Removes the need for sites to fit ad-hoc data solutions and instead provide a consistent high quality secure solution
SES Project Manager at Twickenham Stadium project said: " Power Ethernet enabled us to deploy IT services quickly.The flexibility also allowed us to adapt to changing requirements to meet the needs of the staff on site and has proved to be quick and simple to expand with minimum downtime.The cost and time savings have been considerable compared to using a separate structured cable solution."