Case Study: Miller Construction
Case Study: Miller Construction
When Miller Construction needs premium-quality, energy-efficient cabins fast, a leading site accommodation supplier delivers Internet-ready buildings quickly and safely.
Miller Construction is one of the UK’s largest construction and integrated asset management services businesses, delivering first-class projects across the UK for both public and private sector clients. For its new sheltered accommodation and affordable homes development in Lichfield, Miller Construction wanted to find a site accommodation supplier that could meet its strict quality, service and safety standards, as well as supporting its strong environmental credentials.
For this project, Miller Construction wanted energy efficient cabins, which would contribute towards the company achieving their environmental targets. They also needed the offices up and running very quickly and the supplier had to commit that they could deliver within their tight deadline.
The site accommodation supplier provided 13 spacious, 32-foot site cabins, packed with a host of energy-saving features and technology. To meet the specific requirements of this site, which would host up to 120 workers at its peak, the facilities included offices, meeting rooms, welfare accommodation, canteens and toilet facilities, configured in a two-storey block. The cabins chosen by Miller were fitted with internet-ready power sockets from Power Ethernet, enabling computer users to simply plug in and connect immediately and securely to the internet. This overcomes the problems of unreliable and unsecure internet access usually associated with the wireless connections available on most construction sites. It also keeps cabin interiors tidy and safe, with no messy cables trailing across the floor. The Power Ethernet solution for site accommodation suppliers provide a highly flexible data and power networks intelligently designed into the buildings, so that vendors and contractors are able to provide an optimum solution to their clients which:
- Minimises the time required from office delivery to first use
- Remove the cost of CAT5/6 networking infrastructure (this is a saving per unit)
- Enable the electrician to switch on the cabin’s power and networking simultaneously
- Enable a simple deployment of Voice over IP services (VOIP)
- Relocate and enable optimised local Wi-Fi to each area
- Create a robust integrated data network that is resistant to theft and can be effectively managed
- Remove the need for sites to fit ad-hoc data solutions and instead provide a consistent high quality secure solution
- Provide their customers with a flexible solution that increasingly allows for integration with other services such as security, CCTV, Building, Energy Management and advanced communications such as 4G LTE modems.
Sean Hanrahan, Construction Manager at Miller Construction, says: “We needed a very quick turnaround, and the supplier delivered the brand new buildings just 11 days after we placed our order. We have very high expectations of anyone working on our site, and the Hire installation teams were able to meet those expectations. They were well informed, used all the right safety equipment and had all the right paperwork, which meant they could get the work done quickly and safely.” He added: “The internet-ready cabins mean we don’t have to bring in another set of people to complete the network installation, there are no health and safety issues and we have one less job to do during the very busy site set-up period.”